Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Whiskey Wednesday: The Seelbach Cocktail

I have been a fan of the Seelbach Cocktail for a while, so I thought I would share it for this Whiskey Wednesday. It is named after the Louisville, Kentucky hotel where it was first made in 1917. During prohibition the recipe was lost, but luckily, when doing some renovations at the hotel, they rediscovered the recipe sometime in the 1990's. The Seelbach Cocktail is a true classic that can easily sway someone who is not traditionally a fan of bourbon. Here it is:



The Seelbach Cocktail

1 oz Cyrus Noble Bourbon
1/2 oz. Cointreau
7 dashes Angostura bitters
7 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
4-5 oz Sparkling wine

Stir ingredients briefly over ice, strain into a chilled glass, top with Champagne and garnish with a long lemon twist.
So here are some of my preferred adaptations: a} 1 1/2 oz Cyrus Noble Bourbon instead of 1 . b} I switch up the Cointreau, some good subs are: Clement Creole Shrub or Mandarine Napoleon without changing the drink so much it need to be renamed. c} The glass is usually a flute, but I like a sour glass. d} For the sparkling wine I use Cava usually. e} For the garnish some say orange, but I prefer lemon in this--I don't know which one is the original.

Click here to check out other "Whiskey Wednesdays".

You can follow Cyrus Noble Bourbon on facebook here . . . or on Twitter here . .