Monday, December 2, 2013

Mezcal Monday: The Rusty Coa

OK, I was cruising around the web to find a drink to make, for Mezcal Monday, and I found this one: The Rusty Coa. It was created (as best as I can tell) by Andres Aleman, from shakeandstrainblog.com. The drink looked great in concept so I made a couple tweaks for myself and here is what came out:

The Rusty Coa
Adapted from a recipe by Andres Aleman

2 oz. Don Amado Rustico mezcal
3/4 oz. fresh lime juice

1/2 oz. Simple syrup (he called for agave nectar/I think that stuff is silly)
1/2 oz. Apple cider vinegar (he called for white but, Apple Cider is way tastier)
3-4 dashes of hot sauce (he called for 'habanero', I used Valentina)
Pinch of kosher salt

Club soda

Combine all ingredients, except club soda, and shake with ice. Strain into a Collins glass with fresh ice, top with soda and garnish with a lime zest (he said lemon peel and fresh mint sprig but I didn't have any mint and I had already cut the lime).

This is a really delicious drink; it is refreshing and interesting. Nice work Andres.

Click the link to see more Mezcal Monday! You can also check out and follow Don Amado on Facebook here, and on twitter here ...