Monday, November 18, 2013

Mezcal Monday: La Otra Palabra

Well last week  I wrote about a variation of a 'Last Word' that uses mezcal that was created by Ted Kilpatrick, from No. 9 Park in Boston. My post was noticed by my friend Dave Stolte and he mentioned a variation on a 'Last Word' that uses mezcal that was created at a bar I have actually been to-- The Varnish.

This lovely beverage was created by Eric Alperin, from the Varnish and is a completely different drink than the 'La Palabra' though the name is fairly close (La Otra Palabra). The ratios are completely different the direction is different and I thought this would be a great study to see how subtle variations can make a totally different drink. So here is the fittingly named 'La Otra Palabra' (the other word).

Picture by Dave Stolte!

LA OTRA PALABRA
Adapted from a recipe by Eric Alperin from The Varnish LA

2 oz Mina Real mezcal ~Silver (or Reposado)
1 oz lime juice
1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1 barspoon Luxardo maraschino liqueur

1/4 oz agave nectar (+or-)

Put ingredients into cocktail shaker add ice. Shake well. Strain into double Old Fashioned glass with fresh ice.

I was going to take a picture, but Dave Stolte's drawing was so awesome that I just used it!

Well that is the recipe, I made mine without agave nectar for a few reason, first of which is I like my drinks less sweet. This is a lovely layered cocktail, complex, intriguing but still not limited to 'expert level' drinkers.

Again I used my new "COBALT" shaker. I explained last week that it has 'teeth' that crack ice as you shake. As I said, it works just like they say, the drink does get really cold. For an 'up' cocktail I would still double strain for clarity in presentation and to minimize unwanted/uncontrolled dilution, but straining onto ice in a rocks glass is perfect. If want to check them out click COBALT, and if you end up wanting to buy one use the code 'COBALT20' to get $20 dollars off.

You can see other Mezcal Mondays here . .

You can also check out and follow Mina Real on facebook here, and on twitter here.


Also Dave Stolte has written a great book called: Home Bar Basic's (and not so basic's). Check it out the blog there is a link to buy the book! It is a fun brisk read, full of great info and more awesome illustrations.... It is a fantastic stocking stuffer or gift.