Monday, October 7, 2013

Mezcal Monday: Heart of Oaxaca

So I was checking out the Mezcal Don Amado facebook page and I saw this drink: The 'Heart of Oaxaca'. By now you all know how much I love simple, balanced drinks and this one is something I think all of us --who make drinks with mezcal-- have tried and liked, but never went all the way and named it, or owned it. So I want to begin by giving props to Dennis Schafer, I don't know who you are, but I like your style.
If you look close at this drink it is basically a Manhattan made with mezcal--which is an awesome idea. To let you in on a little secret, Carpano Antica is a little to rich for me in a Manhattan, unless it is 4 to 1 and we are using bonded whiskey. In this the Antica sings, binding to the big flavors and elongating them--the bitters are brilliant too, also I went with Don Amado Rustico for big elegant flavors and the proof to stand up to everything (I wrote a review here . . ). So for this 'Mezcal Monday'
enjoy the 'Heart of Oaxaca':

Heart of Oaxaca
Adapted from a recipe by Dennis Schafer

2oz
Don Amado Rustico
1oz Carpano Antica
5 dashes Bitter Truth mole bitters

Add all ingredients to mixing glass.
Add ice and stir.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
 
You can check out the other Mezcal Mondays here . . 


 You can also check out and follow Don Amado on Facebook here, and on twitter here. 


Better Cocktails at Home did a video on this drink that is well made. Check it out here.... They used a different mezcal but I think the Don Amado Rustico is perfect in this.