Monday, December 2, 2013

Whiskey Wednesday #8

For this weeks "Whiskey Wednesday" lets try out a couple drinks, one cocktail style and one long.
The idea exploded when I was trying to use vinegar to acidify a beverage instead of citrus. Naturally Apple Cider Vinegar should be a perfect pair with Bourbon. My choice of absinthe was intentional, not only is Emperor Norton great Absinthe, but it is also from San Francisco like the bourbon! 
This is the Cocktail version:

Noble Emperor

2 Oz Cyrus Noble Bourbon
3/4 Oz Apple Cider Vinegar (I used Bragg)
1/2 Oz Emperor Norton Absinthe
1/2 Oz of Maple Syrup

Shake with ice and fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass
Add a dash of "Aromatic" Bitters.

OK this drink is awesome. Unfortunately it is summer where I am and this drink SCREAMS fall (or after dinner, cool night, winter . . .just not hot day).

So I took the premise and and modified it 'slightly':

Noble Emperor Fizz(es)

2 Oz Cyrus Noble Bourbon
3/4 Oz Apple Cider Vinegar (I used Bragg)
1/2 Oz Emperor Norton Absinthe
3/4 Oz of Maple Syrup

A dash of "Aromatic" Bitters

Shake with ice and fine strain into a Collins glass.
Top with soda water, or to maintain the nobility sparkling wine (yes, I used Cava!) 

The boost in sweetener is natural in a long drink--the flavors need to spread over a larger surface.

Both of these are great, enjoy them.

 

When I tasted the first version of this (these) drinks, it reminded me of when I was introduced to a beach town in Southern California; as a homeless teenager, hustling for basic necessities, I landed in Newport Beach. Someone walked by with something that smelled so comforting; it was a 'huge' apple, with granola baked inside of it and glazed with -what, I assume now was corn syrup (the dark Karo)-the best news of that and many days to follow was that this delicacy was $1 and change . . . Every day for weeks... . These drinks are not as sweet (and definitely not as chewy), but they remind me of a deeply, satisfying survival.

Click here to check out other "Whiskey Wednesdays".
You can follow Cyrus Noble Bourbon on facebook here -- or on Twitter here . . ..

Thanks again to Haas Brothers; check them out on facebook here . . .