Monday, December 2, 2013

Mezcal Monday #4 Especial Azul Tren

Well #4 is a first for Mezcal Monday it will be a simulcast with Mixology Monday! This month is hosted by Cocktail Virgin Slut. His idea was to take a classic, or known beverage and 'Flip Flop' the ingredients a bit to make something recognizable, yet different.

The inspiration for my "Flip Flop" was a Blue Train Special. The recipe looks like this:
Mixology Monday
Blue Train Special 


1 Oz of Unsweetened Pineapple Juice

Shake with ice & strain/build into a chilled glass, fill with ice and top up with sparkling wine (I used Cristalino Cava).
This is a fantastic recipe, deep, light tropical and still intriguingly complex.

So the first thing I 'Flip Flopped' was the ratios. My drink was an evening drink, I wanted a bit more fortitute, without a total divergence from the original. The second switch was to a Mezcal instead of a Cognac. I kept the juice to spirit ratio the same because I love the way pineapple plays with Mezcal. The third change was the inclusion of bitters; lets face it bitters make things more harmonized--especially in a drink that will show 'spirit forward'. The Don Amado Rustico is 47% abv, full with rich complex flavors that will just naturally stand out and that was what I wanted. The last variation on the recipe is an orange zest garnish; quite a few versions of this recipe call for a garnish (most notably pineapple chucks which I did not have) and usually state them as optional. 

                                                      I present to you:              Especial Azul Tren

1 1/2 Oz Don Amado Rustico
1 1/2 Oz of Unsweetened Pineapple Juice

2 Dashes of Bitters (I like spicy so I used Bittermens Hellfire Bitters, but for a supple savory depth Celery Bitters did work great.)


Shake in iced cocktail shaker & strain/build into a chilled glass half full of ice

Top up with sparkling wine, garnish with orange zest.

*Each variation of the bitters were great.

The biggest difference between the drinks is the immensity of 'Especial Azul Tren'. They both have a tropical, refreshing quality to them with a lovely, drinkable balance. Where the 'Blue Train Special' is light, delicate and vibrant - the 'Especial Azul Tren' is big, vigorous and layered; I'd say they are both winners.

I want to thank Frederic at Cocktail Virgin Slut for this great idea and for hosting MXMO.
Here is the round up . . . 
 
You can check out the other Mezcal Mondays here . . 

You can also check out and follow Don Amado on Facebook here, and on twitter here ... Special thanks to their importer Haas Brothers.