Friday, November 5, 2010

Jamaican Cockfight

Well my buddy Nick created a drink for forrest. . . and i am absolutely tickled to share it with all of you. Before i do, here is the thought process in Nick's own words:

"First, I wanted to use a bold, rich, mouthful of flavor rum...something I thought you would fancy, so I chose Jamaican Smith and Cross. I also wanted to utilize your name...naturally I thought forest or wood related. I have been to Jamaica and was intrigued by a geographic area called, Cockpit Country, which was a semi-pristine forest area. In particular, I liked the history of its British-instilled name and the proud people which came to inhabit the area, called Maroons (non-native African runaway slaves). Its geography is very rugged, shaped like a egg carton and resembled a cockpit, where cockfights usually occurred. It is a hot, difficult to traverse land and according to current guidebooks, quite dangerous as it goes..The area is also known as , "me no sen, you no come." (hence, Ginger was added for its effects). Second, I wanted to mix spirits, two rums in this case... I absolutely love Cockspur 12's  flavor and spiced up finish quite a bit and thought its name fit with the area I had in mind..so I used it. Third, I wanted a unique flavor mixer that was used in Jamaican cooking...that actually originated from India and was introduced around the same time as sugar cane ~1500s ...so Tamarind was added 
 
Jamaican Cockfight...dedicated to Forrest Cokely.
 
1 1/3 oz Smith & Cross Rum
2/3 oz Cockspur 12 Bajan Rum
1/2 oz (15ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz (15ml) simple syrup
1/2 tsp tamarind concentrate (heaping teaspoonful) I used Aeroplane brand
1/8 tsp ginger powder
2 dashes Angostura bitters
 
Shaken vigorously to chilled and tamarind goes into solution, serve in a martini glass dust surface with Jamaican Allspice & nutmeg 
 
Flowers provided courtesy of Flowers On 15th, Seattle, WA (www.flowerson15th.com)" Here is what it looks like when Nick makes it:
 
Now before I go to far i manipulated the recipe for my own purposes, here is the recipe i used:
 
Jamaican Cockfight
 
1 1/2 oz Smith & Cross Rum
3/4 oz Cockspur 12 Bajan Rum
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1/2 oz Allspice Dram
1 tsp tamarind
2 Shakes ginger powder
2 dashes Angostura bitters
Fresh Grated Nutmeg
Shake vigorously, for a very long time double strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Mine looks like this:
             
This is a delicious drink and i thank Nick for the dedication!