Monday, January 5, 2009

Sunday After Weeding

it started about a year and half ago. Some distributer decided to close out a product, so Hi Time had it on Super Sale and I bought it:

BANFI AQUA VITAE
Normally coming across the register 'around' $50, we were closing it out for $14. Aqua Vitae is basically brandy that hasn't been aged (not unlike a Pisco) the flavor is kind in between Pisco Alcolado, and an expertly made Grappa Moscato-- so basically totally yummy.

So the first half of the bottle was sampled with blissful diligence (here are some notes:
BANFI AQUA VITAE

Delicious soft fruit intensity on the nose, leading clean Muscat, peach and almond scents with dried fruit and lavender nuance that is complex, yet exceptionally pleasant; the flavors start with soft, aromatic grape must, silky vanilla blossom, Mirabelle, peach, (just ripe) yellow plum and stewed fruit with an intricate floral backdrop. The sybaritic mouth-feel is full and poised with a round confectionery finish that perseveres carrying all of this to a slow clean end.)

and the second half went a frolicking into cocktails, the tastiest was:

Peche Creche

4 Part Banfi Aqua Vitae
1 Part Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Part Briottet Crème de Peche de Vigne (or sub with another Peach)

Shake with Ice, strain into Chilled Cocktail Glass.

And one of the people I gave the recipe to named it: Peche Creche.
~~~~
All very nice, right?? But what does that have to do with “Sunday, after weeding” ?

Well yesterday after working in the backyard (which frankly I don't do often enough) my lover and I came in for a late lunch, and I poured her a Peach Nectar to go with her re-heated pizza, while I had a grilled cheese and one of the worst Piña Coladas I have ever had (a mix someone wanted me to try-- what a waste of rum:( ). Seeing her savor that peach nectar reminded me of that drink, and I began wondering how it would work as a long drink...
AMAZING!

S.A.W.

Build in a Pint Glass

2 Shots Banfi (or Grappa Moscato, or Pisco...)
Juice of 1 small lemon
2 Shots of Peach Nectar (I used Dixie Peach from Trader Joes, but Kerns
would work-- you would just have to adjust for sweetness)
2 Dashes Orange Bitters
Fill With ice.

And I named it. . . Sunday After Weeding (S.A.W. for short!)